Untitled Document

10% discount code for WoodsRacer.Com members, BBF-WR. Good through 12/24.

Thread: Rm250 Tps Sensor????

Thanks

Rm250 Tps Sensor????

hello, this might be a dumb question but when i got my 03 rm250 the plugin for the TPS sensor was off and taped up, why is this, i've seen other bikes like this just didnt know why or if it would hurt anything.

thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rocz View Post
    hello, this might be a dumb question but when i got my 03 rm250 the plugin for the TPS sensor was off and taped up, why is this, i've seen other bikes like this just didnt know why or if it would hurt anything.

thanks
    In generic terms, a TPS sends a signal to the ignition module and the module selects an ignition advance curve map based on RPM and throttle position.
    When you disconnect the TPS, the module defaults to a single map based solely on RPM.

Perhaps someone disconnected it thinking the bike ran better... which may or may not be true.
    Often, the default map has a faster advance than it would have with the TPS connected... giving the impression that the bike is pulling harder.

Potentially, you can do some damage if you're an idiot and ride around in too tall a gear for conditions, grabbing big handfuls of throttle... lugging the crap out of the engine.
    Too much load, too much ignition advance, too much pressure, too often... and things can get a little on the warm side in the combustion chamber. The bike might show symptoms of this by frequently overheating.

Ignition control is a critical element of performance, which is why fuel injected bikes have multiple ignition maps with multiple control inputs, and even carbureted bikes, like the latest Hondas have added a third control input to ignition timing... gear position.

C

Thanks
    is this a common thing to do on these bikes i bought another wire harness and it was like that too, does anyone have first hand experience with this, i just rebuilt the motor and i don't want to take it out b/c of something dumb like this.

Thanks
    From Moto814 (engine builder from another site I frequent)- People disconnect them because they play with the ignition mapping making tight jetting more difficult, or in some cases, nearly impossible.

I was having real problems jetting a KX 250. He told me to disconnect the TPS and jet it, and then leave it disconnected. It worked.