Untitled Document

10% discount code for WoodsRacer.Com members, BBF-WR. Good through 12/24.

Thread: Kdx suspension

Thanks

Kdx suspension

Most of ya'll probably know that the stock forks on recent (in my case '98) kdx's are pretty worthless. Fredette Racing supposedly upgrades the forks by replacing them and setting them up for the rider's weight. I have no idea how to set these things up, but if anyone has any experience in setting up suspension or sending your forks off to be worked on please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Aaron
    '98 KDX 200
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Thanks
    I own a 2000 KDX 200 and I increased the forks springs to .40 kg/mm and had the local shop install Race Tech Gold Valves. I also installed a softer 4.8 kg/mm spring on the rear.

I would not ride a KDX without the fork springs and Gold Valve at the very least. They make a huge difference in the performance of the forks. I love them.

As for the rear the softer spring seems to add a cushier feel to rear end hits.

If you go to the Race-Tech web site you can enter your riding style, weight, type of riding, etc. and it will provide the spring rates for you and the model of Gold Valve to install.

I ride a wide variety of terrain and they work well in all.

You will be glad you did!!

Ken

Thanks
    I also have a 98 220 and after a little fiddling around with the clickers at the bottom of each fork tube, my forks work fine for me and I have no ambition to send them anywhere. If you want to do some minor damping adjustments, the clickers at the bottom of each fork leg turn in (clockwise) for stiffer damping and out (counterclockwise) for softer damping. There is a better explination of this in your factory manual. Now I am no suspension expert but I found that playing with the clickers on the font and rear suspension makes the KDX suspension work fine for me
    07 KTM 300 XC-W

"A day without dirtbiking is like a day on a quad."

Thanks
    Acavin
    what is your wt. and I can give you recommended spring rates. there are many options for pistons/revalve, but make sure that the company you choose installs a piston and is not doing a revalve on the stock components because that is not possible what is there is just a reverse bleed check plate. So make sure you ask lots of questions.

Thanks
    Hi, I have a 1996 KDX 200, it is identical to your bike. I weigh 130 lbs. I just order Gold Valves from Jeff Freddete (708-946-0999) along with a softer rear spring (4.6 kg/mm) as well as tall/stiff seat foam. When I get this installed I will report as to how it works in comparison. With regards to you, The stock forks have springs for a 130 pound rider, and the shock is for a 180 pound rider. I think it is safe to assume you dont weigh both of these weights at the same time So no matter WHAT, you are going to have to replace one set of springs or the other. ALSO, do NOT get the gold valves for the rear, the are not worth it, If you really want to make the rear better after you balance the springs, then have Freddette RE-valve your stock stuff. He has a truly awesome shop, and has been riding KDXs since the begining of time!