Untitled Document

10% discount code for WoodsRacer.Com members, BBF-WR. Good through 12/24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WR450F or DRZ/KLX400?

Thanks

WR450F or DRZ/KLX400?

I was set to purchase a WR450 but have kinda shyed away due to all the complaints about the woodruff. Any owners here having problems? Would you buy something else if you had to do it again? Are you happy with Yamaha's fix? I'm now also looking at a DRZ/KLX 400. Any thoughts?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Thanks
    I have been seeing posts about kickstart and related component breakage problems on the YZ450F , might be something to wait and see about on the WR too.

Thanks
    I can't really respond about Yamaha's woodruff key, only the overall issue ragarding the fact they do shear. That is their goal in life(if needed) and personally I would not shy away from a bike due to that problem, considering the WR is a much more capable machine off the floor than DRZ/KLX if you plan on racing.Yamaha(like all co.'s) will resolve the issue

My old bike sheared a key, it's a pain in the arse - BUT I still loved the bike and will go back to them(VOR) for 03'.

To bad you can't buy the YZ chassis with the WR motor - it's much easier($$) to downgrade the suspension as opposed to upgrading the softer WR setup.

Go for the WR!
    Red River Dirt Riders/Tulsa Trail Riders
    TSCEC #659, BJEC #1637
    VOR 450
    '07 GasGas 300
    A herd of vintage Husky's

It's a fine place to be... the woods.

Thanks
    Will this be a trail riding machine or one for racing? The DRZ is heavier than the WR and lacks some in the suspension department, but is quite capable, very reliable and pretty quiet. I think they make good trail bikes if you aren't picking them up often. The WR has some teething problems it seems, but none DNF'd at our hare scramble today. Everyone seems to open up the exhaust on these things (to get more power or to make them sound more powerful?) and noisey bikes are good for no one IMO. In a nutshell Race=WR and Trail=DRZ, at least until the Yamaha gets the first year gremlins fixed.
    '12 Honda CRF250R, '03 GasGas EC300, '75 YAMAHA TY80 <Since 2001> '71 Honda Z50, '00 KTM 380EXC, '03 KTM 65SX , '03 YAMAHA PW50, '06 Suzuki DRZ400S, '03 Kawasaki KX100, '08 YAMAHA YZ450F, '07 YAMAHA YZ250, '07 KTM 250XC-W

Thanks

WR450 or DRZ/KLX 400

Thanks for the replies so far, I do like the WR and i'm not going to be racing, it will be a trail bike. My concern is that the bike has a known defect before I even purchase it. The DRZ is not as capable but pretty well bulletproof even though it adds 15 lbs. I live in a remote area and plan on carrying a small gas can with me, I could end up 40 or 50 miles from the beaten path which is why reliability is a very important consideration. Actually if I went for the 400 it would be a KLX (I like the Kawi colours sorry) On paper the WR looks better but for a weekend warrior like me, I ask myself will I ever need that much more bike? I'm a streetbiker so the dirt game is relatively new to me. I'm 6', 200lbs. so anything smaller wouldn't suit me. Anyways your thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

Thanks
    My opinion.
    A DRZ is a very good bike. A DRZ is a great bike for the weekend warrior and that was what it was designed for.

When Suzuki built the DRZ they did not intend it to go head to head with the likes of the YZ400 or WR400 or 426. They set out to build the most versital off road bike they could and blow a XR400R out the water. They did a very good job. They did not intend to build some off road blaster for top level riders. Suzuki built the bike for the masses and they did a very good job.

In my opinion a DRZ is a great trail bike. If your intention is to race off road I would suggest looking else where. If you intention is to ride with your friends and have a comfortable, user friendly bike then go with a DRZ. If you intend to race now and then, a DRZ with a little suspension work and different muffler can be very competitive.

As for a WR450, there is no doubt in my mind that it is a very good bike. There is no doubt that bike is pretty close to be ready to race out of the box.

My question is this. Does a regular rider, riding with his friends for fun, need that type of bike? Will not a DRZ work better for them?

My suggestion. Get a KLX400R (I like the green better than the yellow too) put gas in it and go have fun. Leave the race bike on the showroom floor. You won't be sorry.
    Last edited by ThumprDing; 03-31-2003 at 08:27 AM.
    Curtis
    03DRZ400E, 02KTM300EXC

Thanks
    Thumperding hit the nail on the head.

I recently purchased a DRZ400 E and my friend rides a WR450F.
    I am just getting back into the sport after a 10 yr break and am extremely happy that I chose the DRZ. It is more forgiving and more comfortable to ride than the WR. Howver, Both are great bikes and you wont regret buying either.
    01 Suzuki DRZ 400 E

Thanks

DRZ S VS. E version

How much am I giving up if I go for the S version other than about 30Lbs extra weight. Im gonna be off-road 95% plus but the ability to ride it to the trails is a plus.

Thanks
    You would be giving up the throttle responce of the pumper carb, the off road exhaust, and the off road tailored suspension. You would also be picking up about 10-15 pounds of weight due to the emmissions stuff and the steel tank.

Even though a S model looks like a dirt bike it is tailored to the street. My suggestion is pick up the regualar verision then save up a little money and go to E-line or Baja Designs and pick up a dual sport conversion lighting kit. That will make the off road version street legal and you will retain full off road prowess.
    Curtis
    03DRZ400E, 02KTM300EXC

Thanks
    http://www.biketestusa.com/Pages.aspx?ID=66&Page=1

This may help.
    I'd go with the "E" and get a DS kit too.

Good Luck either way.

Thanks

KLX400

Just put a deposit down on a KLX400 and cancelled my WR and I'm happy with it. Now guys whats the free mods?

Thanks
    Free Mods. Hmm...
    Opening up the air box (aka removing snorkels) is a good thing. A couple of friends of mine own these bike and I think there is some smog stuff you can yank.

Do not take off the muffler end cap. All that does is make the bike louder. A good exhaust for a DRZ is a Yosh with the middle TEC insert. The other is the FMF Power core IV. The other is the Pro circuit T-4.

The bike is very good in stock form.
    Curtis
    03DRZ400E, 02KTM300EXC

Thanks

KLX400R

I was supposed to pick up my KLX on the 15th, But the dealer advised they're still on the boat from Japan, apparently they've outsold the number they're getting into Canada, Mine is guaranteed for delivery but others will have to go DRZ! I guess Suzi's keeping a tight rein on the number they're giving to Kawi this year, I think its the colour I wish Suzi's came in something other than yellow! If I had stuck with the WR I'd be riding right now. Hmmm. Good things come to those that wait?

Thanks
    Can anynone explain what the woodroof key breaking problem is on the WR 450F. I have a new one with 3000 miles on it and the engine started making a weird noise and stopped. I had been changing oil avery 500 miles, cleaning air filters every day and not really riding it hard.

Thanks
    First off the 2004 models are fixed - NO PROBLEM! The 2003 models can be fitted with the 2004 torque limiter and gears that alow the starter to rotate backwards in the event of a lean backfire ($300+ for parts). Without the torque limiter there is no give and the force of the backfire shears the woodruff key. The backfire itself results from the lean jetting on the 2003 model. I suggest that everyone rejets their bike and I strongly reccomend a JD jetting kit purchased at thumpertalk.com.
    Cheers,

David