Untitled Document

10% discount code for WoodsRacer.Com members, BBF-WR. Good through 12/24.

Thread: What size tires on a 200?

Thanks

What size tires on a 200?

What size tires do you KTM 200 guys run?

They come stock with 100/100-18, but for a while I ran some 110's. I got another 100 to see if there was any handling difference, and I didn't really feel anything. (This was with Dunlop 755's)

Now I'm looking at a completely different brand tire, and it's cheaper to get the 110, so I was wondering if any of you have noticed any general differences between the 100's and 110's as far as traction (too much could be a bad thing on a small motor), handling, cornering, etc. Have any of you run the same model tire in the two sizes to see if there's any difference?
    Mark McDonnell
    ECEA B-200
    '01 KTM 200 MXC, '03 Yamaha YZF600R, '97 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100
    Share with Facebook

Thanks
    I usually run 110. I have run 120 and even a 140. I wouldn't go down to a 100 just for an advantage in ruts. I go between the 110 and 120
    Share with Facebook

Thanks
    I've been using the same tires since I bought the bike used last September: Rear 130/80--18 Cross Competition Michelin S-12's;
    Front S-12's Michelin 90/90--21 Cross Competition.

I was thorughly impressed by these tires riding in the central Wisconsin woods about a month ago during three days of rain. Trails were wet and grassy (read really wet and slipperly). I started riding the trails slowly because I was alone and I know how slipperly wet grass can be. On the second day I really picked up the speed between thunderstorms. On third day wide open throttle during the same conditions. Really WET.

Never did I slip out or crash. The lightning didn't get me either. Amazing traction. Confidence inspiring. I'll probably stick to this size and brand of tire forever.

In dry condions they've worked great too. Still have to test them in the rocks of the Wyoming mountains. I now know why a lot of riders like these Michelin S-12's.
    geremachek@yahoo.com

It's finally midnight, on a moonlit summer evening, and I can't even begin to describe the soft nuances of orange and silver light coming from my KTM, as it idles cleanly, deep in the sand trap, at the edge of the 17th hole.

Close my "noisy" riding area? Yeah, right, as soon as we close down all the airports.

2000 KTM 200 EXC titled; 03 EXC 525 (Orange Alert); 1979 XR 185 (guest's bike); 1993 XR650L (to-town bike). And a few other dusty machines lazily muching hay in the barn...
    Share with Facebook

Thanks
    Yeah, I've heard great things about S-12's and I ran a used one (after Fred Hoess broke it in). It seemed to work pretty good, but like I said, it was half used so I never got a feel for how long they last in the rocks around here.

Michelin's must use a different measuring system, because their 140's don't look much bigger than a 110 from other brands. A Dunlop or Bridgestone 140 probably wouldn't fit in my swingarm.
    Mark McDonnell
    ECEA B-200
    '01 KTM 200 MXC, '03 Yamaha YZF600R, '97 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100
    Share with Facebook

Thanks
    The 140 is purportedly the same as a 120, but in reality, it's a little bigger, at least to my eye. I run the 130 S-12 on my son's 200, and it works great. It's a soft-terrain tire, but it works pretty well on anything but dusty hard-pack, where it tends to walk a bit (but what doesn't?). In the rocks, they hold up pretty well, better than a 755, I think, but not as well as an M-12 would. I have the M-12 on my 300, S-12s on the 200 and the 400. I really don't have any preference, except in really wet conditions, where the S-12 shines.
    "Again with the squeaky shoes."

'05 Gas Gas 300DE
    '02 KTM 400SX/EXC
    '02 KTM 400 SX
    '75 Yamaha TY175
    Share with Facebook

Thanks
    just for reference i think that the 120/90 is the correct size for the rear on the ktm 200. and they are using a different measurement system. it is something about taking the measurment of the tire including the knobs........as opposed to just measuring the tires carcass.
    Share with Facebook