Untitled Document

10% discount code for WoodsRacer.Com members, BBF-WR. Good through 12/24.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, No low end power

Thanks

Help, No low end power

I have a 2002 RM 125. Problem is that I can not get any power out of the low end. I went one size bigger on the rear sprocket but still is not enough. I also put a spacer in the exhaust port which helped a lot but I ride other 125's and it is embarrassing to let somone ride mine. It has no low end. I even changed the reeds to a boyseen dual stage that also did nothing. HHHHHEEEEEELLLLPPPPP.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Thanks
    There isn't a lot you can do to get much low-end from a 125, expecially an '02 RM125. You might see if FMF makes a gnarly pipe for your machine. And you may be able to adjust your power valve a bit tighter so that it opens a bit later. You could also retard the ignition timing a bit. Another option is a big-bore kit from someone like Eric Gorr, if you're not racing the 125 class.
    "Again with the squeaky shoes."

'05 Gas Gas 300DE
    '02 KTM 400SX/EXC
    '02 KTM 400 SX
    '75 Yamaha TY175

Thanks
    Try some Steahly Fly-wheel weights. You wont be able to put a whole lot on the 125s, because if you did it would turn it into a plug fouling monster, but I wouldnt go with more than a 10 ounce weight. Try that, and you should get a lot smoother transition with more bottom end.
    03 KTM 200 EXC

"I'll just sneek up on this tree, and hit it when its not expecting me, heheh, we'll see who falls then."

Thanks
    I ride the same bike and got great results by changing the stock 38mm mikuni to a 36mm kehien.

Thanks
    c. smith, thanx for the reply. I am the one that contacted u already about the carb. problem. In fact I spoke with U a few times. Unfortunately the problem is not with the carb. I rode 2 other 02 RM 125's over the weekend. Both bikes were box stock. These bikes made my bike feel like a KE 100 from 1978. I wish I was joking but I am not. The bike has been like this since day one. Unfortunately the bike was purchased from a dealer that specializes in parts changing and not troubleshooting. I am dreading to take it there. They are more of a street bike shop. I am thinking that the power valve ATEC system is malfunctioning or the CDI unit is defective. HHHHEEEEELLLLLPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by kenykop; 05-27-2002 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks
    If you know other people with the same bike, try swapping parts.

I guess there's only a few things, like the carb and CDI box, but if you try theirs and it still doesn't work, you've at least ruled out those parts.

Check the reeds to make sure they aren't damaged.

I guess after that, you should probably look inside the engine, since there isn't much more external stuff that could affect it. Look at the piston to see if it exhibits any signs of poor operation. Inspect the power valves to make sure they are actuating properly. If they are open at low RPM it could reduce the power. I'm not familiar with Suzuki's power valves, but make sure they aren't binding on anything. If you have a manual, check all the parts to make sure they are within spec and that something isn't bolted to loose or too tight.

It's probably not likely, but also check the cylinder head to make sure the ports are all in good condition. If something isn't machined correctly or is clogged it would affect the performance.

All that would cost you is $20 for a gasket kit. You could put the stock piston back in if it is in good condition.

These are pretty general ideas since I've never owned a Suzuki, but when you think about it, the only things affecting performance are the carb, ignition, and top end. You can eliminate the first two by swapping parts.

Oh yeah, check your timing too.
    Mark McDonnell
    ECEA B-200
    '01 KTM 200 MXC, '03 Yamaha YZF600R, '97 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100

Thanks
    New top end was already done and power valve linkage rod was functioning properly. I also installed new reeds.

Thanks
    I have an 02RM125 and I love it. Dont worry about low end, just hammer it.

All I did to mine was changed the front tooth sprocket to a 12, and the jetting. The needle up one notch, and a 27.5 jet. It doesnt have great low end power, but what do you expect, it is a 125 MX bike.

If you really dont like the motor, try sending it out to get it worked to a 144cc. Eric Gorr did my Honda CR125, and it had great low end.
    ECEA HS & Enduros, Netra HS , A250

North Jersey ROCKS!

Thanks
    PGALARDI, Re-read my initial post. The bike is almost unrideable. We're talking a difference of about 5-6 horsepower throughout the low and mid powerband compared to other bikes of the same year. Getting it punched out is not going to make any difference if the power valve and or CDI unit is malfunctioning. My bike came with a 12 tooth front sprocket stock. I dont know what bike U bought.

Thanks
    Are there any external power valve adjustments on the bike?

There has to be something that sets the powervalve to a certain spec. They may be moving freely, but if they are moving at the wrong time it's just as bad. I know KTM 300's have a little adjustment screw that you can tune to set the powervalve operation. Maybe Suzuki has something similar.
    Mark McDonnell
    ECEA B-200

Thanks
    On the left side of the cylinder there is an adjuster that has a plate around it with two 8mm head bolts to lock it. I Remove the lockplate and grab the dial with a pair of pliers. pull it out gently, just enough to free the o ring that seals the dial, then turn counter clockwise untill there is no tension on the spring. Stock setting should be 1 1/2 turns. Less tension=less bottom end. Also rm's run best with a little bit of race gas. I use Power Mist concentrate and mix it to get about 100 octane. Check to se if the bike mysteriously looses trans oil, could be a bad crank seal. Also make sure it has one of those new ngk "8" plugs, these came stock. With the stock carb they don't seem to run right with a normal style plug. If that doesn't work get one of your freinds drunk and switch the motors while they are sleeping it off.

Thanks
    C.smith, believe it or not I have moved the power valve adjuster 1/2 turn in each direction and the bike had no change to its power output. I have run 50/50 race gas and straight race gas, again, no change in power output. I still have the original plug for the bike. I have changed it with another $25 plug, again, no change. The stock setting I am assuming is 1 1/2 clockwise turns in from a neutral spring tension. Again, this bike runs like a week 80cc machine.

Thanks
    Its the Powervalve. Assembled without a thrusher bearing from the factory. Go figure. No Warranty from Hudson Valley Motorcycles Millwood,NY

Thanks
    Was anything damaged, or was it just a simple missing part?
    Mark McDonnell
    ECEA B-200

Thanks
    I dont know yet. I did find the Thrusher bearing laying in the bottom of the clutch cover. Hudson Valley did warranty the parts to replace, gaskets etc. so I cant complain. I just hope I didnt damage any tranny parts. I will flush liberally with solvent and reassemble.