Untitled Document

10% discount code for WoodsRacer.Com members, BBF-WR. Good through 12/24.

Thread: APT SmartCarb

Thanks

APT SmartCarb

Their site is long on hype and short on facts, but I have read a positive review at gasgasrider.org. If this thing works over a broad temperature range (not much altitude change here in MO) I'd be back in the two stroke saddle. http://www.powerapt.com/smartcarb-difference.php
    '12 Honda CRF250R, '03 GasGas EC300, '75 YAMAHA TY80 <Since 2001> '71 Honda Z50, '00 KTM 380EXC, '03 KTM 65SX , '03 YAMAHA PW50, '06 Suzuki DRZ400S, '03 Kawasaki KX100, '08 YAMAHA YZ450F, '07 YAMAHA YZ250, '07 KTM 250XC-W
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Thanks
    Pretty pricey, but I'd be happy to test one for them.
    MOTORHEAD

You don't stop riding because you get old, you get old because you stop riding.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MTRHEAD View Post
    Pretty pricey, but I'd be happy to test one for them.

Ditto here. My WR450 is a gas hog. I'd upgrade in a heartbeat for $350, but $775 is more than I can justify, even with the other performance gains. I'd like to see their technology work because I hate to see FI take over on bikes, because it adds weight & complexity to machines that need to be light and simple.

Thanks
    "Rumor" has it that they are going to make a die-cast versus which will bring the cost down to $400-500. This is the only test I could find.
    http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...6393#post96393

A friend of mine on CR500riders.com is trying to get them to fess one up so he can test it on several applications, dyno...etc Pretty cool carb, I would like to see a bit more testing on it.
    Last edited by engineguy129; 10-20-2012 at 09:40 AM.

Thanks
    The factory guy said it costs about $100,000 to set up to die cast each model carb. I find that a little hard to believe it is really that expensive for such small simple parts. Of course they have to be machined after casting, but that's not the casting part of it. You'd think that they could use the same castings for more than one size too, by varying the machine work a little.

But, what do I know?....

Maybe it's a great new design.....or maybe it's a scam. The price is way high for a carb, and you'd think they would send test units out to all the right magazines & teams, so we'd hear about them from a "trusted source".

Thanks
    These things look like a cross between a PSI, Boswell and Lectron carb to me. So I don't see anything new here and don't expect them to go over very well. I suspect, like most hi atomization / vapor carbs they will be very hard to keep jetted right, which makes it too hard to realize any major performance gains in the real would.
    MOTORHEAD

Thanks
    As a practical issue, especially for offroad bikes, the carb has no overflows. APT admits this is an issue and is working on some vents with one way check valves. My takes is after a lay down, flooded engines here we come.
    '12 Honda CRF250R, '03 GasGas EC300, '75 YAMAHA TY80 <Since 2001> '71 Honda Z50, '00 KTM 380EXC, '03 KTM 65SX , '03 YAMAHA PW50, '06 Suzuki DRZ400S, '03 Kawasaki KX100, '08 YAMAHA YZ450F, '07 YAMAHA YZ250, '07 KTM 250XC-W

Thanks
    Hmm, sounds like they thought of everything. NOT.
    MOTORHEAD

Thanks
    mines in the mail. last of the 36 billet

Thanks
    I pre-ordered a die cast version. I hated to fork out the coins, but I have to try one. I just hope that all these great reviews it's been getting are for real. I tried several of these other wonder carbs over the years and they pretty much turned out to be "snake oil". The only places they turned out to have a piratical application was in drag racing type use, where you just run full throttle all the time and don't care about how they work at low throttle openings.
    MOTORHEAD

Thanks
    I'm a mod on GGRC, and the other mod in TX who I know and trust was the first to take the plunge and buy a 38mm billet carb for his '11 GasGas 250 Six Days. After some initial throttle cable issues related to his MP thread in cable, all is well. He can't say enough good about this thing. The bowl cannot be vented because it is pressurized by the airstream, thats how it compensates for altidude and temp (density). They have addressed this in the later billet carbs and cast design with check valves. The cast version will also be more compact and close in dimension to a PWK for an easy swap. I pre ordered a cast 38mm for my '12 GasGas XC250R.
    Glenn
    '13 Beta 300RR Racing

Thanks
    So I finally got my carb today in the mail. It was the last of the billet 36 they had. Steve Tutt searched and found one last one for me.
    I'm really glad I pulled the trigger as it looks like the cast units will only be in 38mm sizes for now. It's snowing here in Ottawa Canada, and I have work proficiency exams to write, so the carb will be sitting on the back burner.

I bought this carb because I need all the power I can get out of my 125, and I'm not really that great at jetting.

If you guys want pictures let me know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Smart carb.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	2277
    Last edited by Thanatos; 12-23-2012 at 07:07 AM.

Thanks

Thumbs up

Sweet!

Git er' Done!!

Let us know if it was worthwhile.