Untitled Document

10% discount code for WoodsRacer.Com members, BBF-WR. Good through 12/24.

Thread: ktm weak front brake

Thanks

ktm weak front brake

hi guys and gals, i was wondering what the story is with ktm front brakes. i CANNOT get the bike to stop!!! i have tried all the bleeding tricks and i am satisfied that i have no air trapped in the system. The lever feels nice and firm, no sponginess or anything. The trouble is, the brakes feel totally underpowered. I am using EBC mxs sintered HH pads to get as much grab as i can, but i would describe the brakes only as 'acceptable'. I have not ridden a modern bike with weaker brakes than this (except for another ktm). the bike is a 2008 exc 200. So, I have bled it properly, put decent pads in, cable tied the lever overnight etc. but still no bite or power. A ktm guy i spoke to who is 'in the know' says its because the caliper flexes too much. Help! please give me hope for my beloved two-hunny's brakes!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Thanks

ktm brakes

Try ktmtalk.com I have a 200 and the stock pads heated up; got rid of them and my 2007 200xc stops fine.

QUOTE=jayjayireland;53532]hi guys and gals, i was wondering what the story is with ktm front brakes. i CANNOT get the bike to stop!!! i have tried all the bleeding tricks and i am satisfied that i have no air trapped in the system. The lever feels nice and firm, no sponginess or anything. The trouble is, the brakes feel totally underpowered. I am using EBC mxs sintered HH pads to get as much grab as i can, but i would describe the brakes only as 'acceptable'. I have not ridden a modern bike with weaker brakes than this (except for another ktm). the bike is a 2008 exc 200. So, I have bled it properly, put decent pads in, cable tied the lever overnight etc. but still no bite or power. A ktm guy i spoke to who is 'in the know' says its because the caliper flexes too much. Help! please give me hope for my beloved two-hunny's brakes![/QUOTE]

Thanks
    go to KtmTalk theres a thread about this problem and a fix (very cheap/ has to do with a longer pin or something.

Thanks
    ok, thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Check the wear on the brake piston. If the brake pin is worn it will hold the pads from closing straight which then cause the piston to wear at an angle. Therefore, when you grab your front brake, the pads don't grab straight it grabs then has play until the other half of the pad touches. I hope that makes sense.

Thanks
    I also have poor front brakes. Mine were awesome in 04/05 when the bike was new but since then "acceptable", Less so here in the west with higher ambient temps and longer downhills. All the other Ktm guys in my club all swear by the Motul 600 degree boiling point racing brake fluid. I have compared the labels and the boil point seems to be a least 15 degrees higher then other brands.