PDA

View Full Version : Which oil do I use?

KTMmer
02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Hey there. I have an 02 250 EXC two stroke. I am getting ready to change all the fluids and do the preventitive maintainence on the bike before this race season. In one part of my repair manual it says to use 15W-50 Motorex 4T oil and in the spec sheet it says to use 10W-40 Shell Advanced Ultra. I am not planning on riding in too much of the cold weather left here in Indiana except for the first couple races maybe. Which oil should I use after I drain the old out?:confused: What do you guys or girls use? Thanks.

CrazyTed
02-04-2009, 01:22 PM
I used the lighter weight when it was colder out and changed to the heavier weight when it warms up. It's more important now that I have a four stroke. I used the Belray GearSaver in the transmission of my 2-strokes and the Belray H1R in the gas. My 98 250EXC is still being ridden by family to this day.

KTMmer
02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I went to my local dealer today and the guy told me his brother has a 300 EXC and he used Spectra Golden SAE 80 in his bike. On the back of the bottle it says it can be used in place of 10W-30 and 10W-40. Does sound like a viable option to anyone?

06EXC400
02-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Ok My friend:

I am unsure where the spec sheet came from? 15W-50 Motorex 4T is the oil you should be using or an equivilent synthetic blend. No where does KTM use Shell products. Shell is probably no even available to Austria and if it was, It would not meet the strigant standards that KTM uses. Now my question is why you manual notes to use 4t. The correct fluid for a 2 stroke is Motorex Cross Power 2T Two-Stroke Oil. Now the guy at the shop recommended a 80 weight oil?
I would not recommend a heavy oil like that as 80 weight oil is usually used on heavy gear boxes of trucks etc. Your gear set of your bike is much more tempermental and needs lublication now not after 200 miles of warming up. The recommendation for Belray was a very good choice, just make sure you use a oil designed for two strokes and not one that is designed for 4 strokes as four strokes use their case oil to lube the top end and two strokes get the lubrication from the premix and the case only lubes down low. Mobile one is a good option. Just make sure, if you use a full synthectic oil you can not go back to non synthetic without allot of work, a synthectic blend and changing it regularly is a great choice.

Rod

Andy Winters
02-05-2009, 12:27 PM
I run shell Rotella-T Diesel oil.....all year long. $11/gal at Wally World.

CrazyTed
02-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Actually, the standard used to rate the gear oil like the Spectro is different than the one for regular "gear" oil. I used 80wt Belray Gearsaver and it was definitely not like 80 weight gear oil for machinery. Remember, back in the old days, the KTM's came with adds for the Shell oil products. That was before they came with the adds for Motorex products. I still have some sticker sets that came with my old KTM's that have the Shell logo's.

The Golden Spectro is motorcycle specific gear oil. I have no personal experience with Spectro so I can't give you an opinion on that.

KTMmer
02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
The info I got is from the KTM engine repair manual for my bike. I got it from a certified KTM dealer and there is a "Technical Data" section which is section 9. On the top of page 9-28C it says "Technical Data- Engine 250/300/380 SX/MXC/EXC 2002 (only USA)". Next to "Gear lubrication" it says "SX 0.8 l engine oil 20W-40 (Shell Advance VSX4) MXC/EXC 0.8 l engine oil 10W-40 (Shell Advance Ultra 4)" It also says to use Shell HF-E15 hydraulic oil for the clutch. There is another section, page 9-30C, which at the top of the page says "Technical Data- Engine 250/300/380 SX/ EXC 2002 (all models out of USA)" as in there it says next to "Gear lubrication" - "0,8 l engine 10W-40 (Shell Advance Ultra 4)". Now that is the best I can do as far as describing where I got the "Shell recomendation" without actually taking a picture of the pages and posting them. In the it appears that KTM is telling me to use Shell. As far as the Spectra Golden SAE 80 that they told me to use, like I said, on the back of the bottle it said it exceeds manufacturers requirements and can be used where 10W-30 and 10W-40 are required. Now I thought the same thing at first about the "truck rearend", but the if you were to shake the bottle it actually feels like a 10W-30 or 40 motor oil and not a thick rearend gear oil. I am not trying to argue with you. I am just giving the facts that I have here in front of me and now maybe you can see why I am confused. I have been told, by KTM and multiple people, conflicting or different oils to use. I just don't want to put the wrong thing in and have eat at my seals or something. Also I thought oils such as Motorex Cross Power 2T were for premix only and not for gear boxes. Could be wrong.

jimr
02-05-2009, 03:43 PM
I think everyone is making this more complicated than it needs to be. Your KTM is a 2stroke motor w/ power valves. The piston and crankshaft are lubricated by 2 stroke premix oil mixed w/ the gas. The transmission and clutch are lubricated by gearbox oil which should be changed regularly due to contamination from the clutch and shearing from the gears. KTM recommends Motorex because they are marketing partners w/ them (previously it was w/ Shell) but you can use any brand w/ no problems. Just make sure the 2 stroke oil is power valve friendly such as Bel Ray H1R, Spectro SX, Torco GP7, Silkolene SX, etc. For the transmission you can either use 2 stroke gear oil or 4 stroke motorcycle oil (synthetic, synthetic blend or petroleum - any brand). Just don't use automotive oils which contain friction modifiers which will cause the clutch to slip. 2 stroke gear oil comes in 10W30 (Spectro SX, Motul Transoil) or 80W, 85W (Bel Ray Gearsaver, PJ1) - either type will work fine. 4 stroke motorcycle oil also will work because it lubricates the gearbox as well as the engine on a 4 stroke. Just stay away from automotive oils and you can't go wrong.

clintallac
02-05-2009, 08:41 PM
like jimr said you can use pretty much anything as long as its designed for motorcycles i have heard though if you are using the gear saver that every three oil changes you should put in 10w-40 because the gear saver doesn't have the detergents like the regular oil.

RTSinDallas
02-06-2009, 06:46 AM
I think everyone is making this more complicated than it needs to be. Your KTM is a 2stroke motor w/ power valves. The piston and crankshaft are lubricated by 2 stroke premix oil mixed w/ the gas. The transmission and clutch are lubricated by gearbox oil which should be changed regularly due to contamination from the clutch and shearing from the gears. KTM recommends Motorex because they are marketing partners w/ them (previously it was w/ Shell) but you can use any brand w/ no problems. Just make sure the 2 stroke oil is power valve friendly such as Bel Ray H1R, Spectro SX, Torco GP7, Silkolene SX, etc. For the transmission you can either use 2 stroke gear oil or 4 stroke motorcycle oil (synthetic, synthetic blend or petroleum - any brand). Just don't use automotive oils which contain friction modifiers which will cause the clutch to slip. 2 stroke gear oil comes in 10W30 (Spectro SX, Motul Transoil) or 80W, 85W (Bel Ray Gearsaver, PJ1) - either type will work fine. 4 stroke motorcycle oil also will work because it lubricates the gearbox as well as the engine on a 4 stroke. Just stay away from automotive oils and you can't go wrong.

Jimr is correct. The auto oils that are energy star compliant have the friction modifiers, avoid them. Some racing and diesel oils still don't use FM. Many, including myself, use Shell Rotella or Type F ATF. Buy it cheap and change it often. I change mine when I clean or change my air filter. I have a Rekluse, and they also reccomend Rotella for their auto clutches.

KTMcCart
02-06-2009, 08:38 AM
How often should the gear oil in a two stroke be changed?
I change the oil in my 4stroke after every race and after 2 or 3 rides. I also use steel screen filters and clean them out.

Can the 2T gear oil go longer?

CrazyTed
02-06-2009, 03:51 PM
In my old 2stroke, when I used the cheaper oil, I changed it after every ride. When I started using better oil, I left it in for longer.

jimr
02-06-2009, 04:37 PM
Gearbox oil life on a 2 stroke depends on how hard the bike is ridden. Slipping the clutch and hard shifting will shorten the service life of any oil. If you're just trail riding, the oil will last many rides because the oils today are very advanced. Just judge the change intervals on how the oil comes out when it's drained and adjust accordingly. The gearbox oils don't need detergents because there are no combustion by products to contaminate the oil like on a four stroke. Modern MX four strokes need the oil changed more frequently because the sump capacity is so small and the oil has two functions - lubricate the engine and the gearbox - so it is under a lot more stress. Any brand oil filter will work fine in a four stroke because it is changed so often.

flyer15015
02-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Boy, I must really be out of the loop. I've used havoline 10w40 in my clutch since I bought my 250 exc new in 1991, and mc-1 @ 50-1 as my premix. Ran a lot of enduro's and did a bunch of trail riding since then and no problems so far. So you say i'm doing what wrong ???
mike

jimr
02-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Flyer, does your '91 have powervalves in the cylinder? If not, then MC-1 is fine for premix oil. If it does have power valves then H1R would be a better choice since it is designed to burn cleaner. The Havoline 10W40 will work in your gearbox as long as it is API rated SG or lower. Automotive oils rated SF and higher are energy conserving oils and contain friction reducing additives which can cause a clutch to slip. It is just safer to use a motorcycle specific oil for the gearbox than run into a problem. You can use any brand 10W40 motorcycle petroleum oil to keep the cost down (about a $1 more/quart than auto oil).

flybars
02-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Andy, do U use the dino, synthetic blend, or the synthetic in your 2 stroke. I've been using the Rotella T dino in my 4 strokes and change it and the filter every 1 to 3 rides depending on how hard I rode. My next bike will be a 300 2 stroke is why I ask.

Andy Winters
02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm using plain old dino oil, change often...it's cheap! Rekluse recomends this oil and many guys claim even factory KTM is running it regardless of what stickers they have on their bikes and trucks!

flybars
02-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks. Also good to know that it's good for the Rekluses too. I even use it in my Vstar 1300 cruiser.

rick albert
03-04-2009, 08:09 PM
i been using ATF the past 3years with no problems.$1.65 at wally-world !