PDA

View Full Version : bottoming out

AKrider
10-10-2005, 03:08 PM
I have a 05 300exc and this last weekend it started bottoming on the rear I've had it bottom a few times on really square hits but it was rare I weigh 200 and am 5'11 I added 10 clicks to the stock settings (front and rear) on the compression and rebound it made it ride a whole lot better but it is still bottoming while crossing washes and going into uphills(it's like G'ing out) is this something that has to do with the spring or can I just twist the clickers up more? I've read that messing with the suspension on KTMs can turn into a real headache and that it is a common mistake people make but I need to get this figured out my body will appreciate it

Dave.Smtih
10-10-2005, 06:06 PM
The KTM shock (WP PDS) is very sensitive to sag. Check out the suspension forum (it has A LOT of activity) over at ktmtalk.com.

CrazyTed
10-10-2005, 11:14 PM
If everything was fine and it just started acting different, than most likely something changed inside the shock. I usually find this to be the fluid inside needs to be changed. As it breaks down, the fluid loses its viscosity. It all depends on how much the bike has been riden....

AKrider
10-10-2005, 11:29 PM
I have about 35 hrs on it

netraracer
10-11-2005, 03:29 PM
If you still have the stock spring in it, theres your problem. At 200lbs, thats way to heavy for the stock springs. Tim

AKrider
10-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Is there such a thing as a progressive rate spring?

netraracer
10-11-2005, 05:25 PM
Is there such a thing as a progressive rate spring?
Yes, All ktm's from 98-04 came with them stock on the rear. I think in 05 they came stock with straight rates. Tim

Danger
10-12-2005, 11:42 AM
2002 was the last year for the progressives on KTM's. I would think a PDS3 or 4 might be good for you, but check out this thread which lists what alot of riders of various weights use on their KTM's. Your fork springs will be too soft too.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=81059

I would think it would be worth servicing the shock with new oil and nitrogen if it just started bottoming when previously it was ok.

AKrider
10-12-2005, 01:19 PM
If i am looking at changing springs will I need to revalve?

Bandit9
10-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Not necessarily, but I would revalve it. The difference in handling is stunning. That being said, none of it will mean a hill of beans if you don't get your sag set correctly.

pinecone
10-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Hello there. KTM's overall tend to have a semi-harsh feel to the stock valving. A revalve is mandatory on a KTM. You probably will end up getting it done anyways. Sooner is better than later! :)

I recommend checking out this website:

www.suspensiontuninghelp.moonfruit.com
;)
It is very informative.

Yamahauler
10-15-2005, 06:15 AM
I too have an '05 300 EXC and I'm having suspension trouble as well. I bought mine used and it had .44s up front and a 8.4 on the rear which is about right for my weight (~195 lbs w/o gear). I didn't experience any bottoming out, but the rear end pushed like crazy. I went with a Factory Connection progressive spring (8.0 to 10 I believe) and set my rider sag per the "Golden Rule" at ~125mm. It handles better in the turns, but is a 'jack hammer' on the braking and acceleration bumps. I've been having back and neck problems lately because of it.

I am really disappointed in the KTM suspension. I guess they are 'ready to race' for someone that weighs 150 lbs. I'm probably going to drop another $300-400 and revalve using Race Tech and go the bladder and needle route. Or, I'll cut my losses, sell the bike and buy a Yamaha like I should have in the first place.

Good Luck!

MTRHEAD
10-15-2005, 07:13 AM
Yes, you should have.

Dave.Smtih
10-15-2005, 08:12 AM
It's a shame that KTM is too proud/stubborn to admit that their stock PDS rear suspension is not ready for prime time. PDS can obviously be made to work as you need only look at GNCC and National Enduro results for proof. However, the bikes winning in those series are equipped with very high dollar units with modifications tailored to the rider.

AKrider
10-17-2005, 07:37 PM
thanks for the input and the websites I'm going with new springs and a revalve I know where yamahauler is coming from my 300 gave me a good beating this weekend but I'm going to stick it out and hopefully get it right anybody have any recommendations for the revalve and springs?that won't break the bank

CrazyTed
10-17-2005, 09:16 PM
Just make sure you have a shop do the revalve that has experience, and I mean actual experience with off-road racing, not just MX/SX. I've seen some really weird settings and setups come out of some suspension shops. Find a good shop that you can call for continuing advice during the setup. Enduro Engineering, Works Enduro Rider, Go-Race Suspension, and several others are definitely in tune with the off-road world.

AKrider
10-18-2005, 07:47 PM
I've been looking at MX tech, I had a really bad experience with a shop years ago the guy went into my forks to replace the seals and I when I got them back about half the parts were missing but I didn't realize it until 10 minutes into the first ride and and I noticed my seals were at the bottom of my forks I took the forks to a reputable dealer and went through the breakdown with the mech. and diagrams needless to say it was a total junkshow :confused: :( :mad: Well anyway that was a long time ago but it has made a lasting impression on who tinkers with what

gktr
10-20-2005, 05:15 PM
You will probably need .44's up front and at least an 8.8 in the rear just to get the bike at a starting point. I don't weigh as much as you and this is what i run.