PDA

View Full Version : Can the 05 yz450f be turned into a worthy trail steed?

jace594
08-28-2005, 08:45 PM
I own an 05 yz450f. I have used it on the mx track and it works great! However I use it mainly for trail riding. I have found it works great as long as the trail isn't to tight. I used it in the mountains north of Mt. Ranier and it would climb anything. When it gets tight it becomes a beast! with the 4-speed I'm either in first gear overheating or in second gear frying my clutch and stalling! I forgot to mention that the bike is completely stock except for barkbusters graphics and spark arrestor. Yes I realize thats why this bike is beating the crap out of me in the tight stuff. Before I dump money into it i would like some opinions as to whether or not it is feasible? I know that some professional racers use the yz450 i.e, Russ Pearson, Ty Davis, Nathan woods and Randy Hawkins used the wr450. It seems that the majority of its use is in more open stuff. I am inclined to go back to a lighter 2-stroke i.e, 250 or 300 xc or yz250. Does anyone use or has anyone modified a yz450 for enduros or hare scrambles? specifically in tight stuff? Would it be worth my investment? or should I invest the money towards my inclination of a lighter 2-stroke? I jumped on the 4-stroke bandwagon and am considering going back to a 2- stroke. Any and all opinions from you woods veterans would be appreciated !!

HiG4s
08-30-2005, 02:55 PM
I would think a larger rear sprocket, a fly wheel weight, and set the timing the same as a WR450 you would be good to go.. But then that is just a hypothisis.

motojonny
08-31-2005, 09:37 PM
Been there, done that with an 03YZ450. Even with all the woods mods, it's only good for about 45 minutes in the tight stuff, then your toast. Don't waste your time, IMHO.

I love my 2003 YZ250. I also have a 2005 300MXC which is excellent, but if I had to be my best, I'd reach for the YZ250.

The YZ450 can be way fun, but the wrong tool for the job in the tight stuff.

Get a 2 stroke.

jace594
08-31-2005, 10:00 PM
First of all thank you! for your replies. I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to give an opinion. I have been considering having the suspension redone, adding a magura hydralic clutch, a complete Hinson clutch system, steahly flywheel weight, FmF Q2, etc... and a myriad of other components to make it more trail worthy. My gut feeling is that no matter what I did to it, it would still be a heavy beast in the tight stuff. Personally I'm tired of heavy bikes, My first bike was a KLX 300. It was great for trails but gutless and heavy. my next bike was was an 02 cr250. It was a little boggy in the low end, but man was it light! So, unless someone can argue otherwise I'll probably look at getting a yz250 or ktm 250 or 300 exc or xc. A lot of people swear by both. I'm leaning towards the yz that way I'm not narrowing myself to a trail only bike. Again thanks for your opinions! I'm looking forward to reading some more, keep them coming.